South Dakota Tourism
For Everyone Who Loves the Rural Midwest.
Because of misunderstandings that frequently develop when
Easterners and Californians enter the Dakotas, those states’
Tourism Councils have adopted a new policy.
In an effort to help outsiders understand the rural Midwesterner’s
mind, the following list will be handed to each person as they
enter the State.
Now, enjoy your visit and then go home…
- That slope-shouldered farm boy did more work before breakfast
than you do all week at the gym.
- It’s called a ‘gravel road..’ No matter how slow you drive, you’re
going to get dust on your Navigator. I have a four wheel drive
because I need it. Drive or get it out of the way.
- We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old.
Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.
- Any references to “corn fed” when talking about our women will
get you whipped…by our women.
- Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don’t cry to us if
a walleye breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those
little 13-inch trout you fish for…BAIT!!
- Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.
- If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their
final approach, we will shoot it. You might hope you don’t have it
up to your ear at the time.
- That’s right. Whiskey is only two bucks. We can buy a fifth for what
you paid in the airport for one drink.
- No, there’s no “Vegetarian Special” on the menu. Order steak. Order
Or, you can order the Chef’s Salad and pick off the two pounds of
ham and turkey. Yeah, we have sweet tea. It comes in a glass with
two packets of sugar and a long spoon.
- You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served
- So you have a sixty thousand dollar car. We’re real impressed.
We have quarter of a million dollar combines that we use two
weeks a year.
- Let’s get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop
when it’s red. We may even stop when it’s yellow.
- Our women hunt, fish, and drive trucks-because they want to.
So, you’re a feminist. Isn’t that cute.
- Yeah, we eat catfish, carp too-and turtle. You really want sushi
and caviar? It’s available at the bait shop.
- They are pigs. That’s what they smell like. Get over it. Don’t like it?
Interstate 90 goes two ways- Interstate 29 goes the other two. Pick
one and use it accordingly.
- The “Opener” refers to the first day of pheasant season. It’s a
religious holiday. You can get breakfast at the church.
- So every person in every pickup waves. It’s called being friendly.
Understand the concept?
- Yeah, we have golf courses. Don’t hit in the water hazards.
It spooks the fish.
- That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving
like an idiot…his name is “Sir”…no matter how old he is.
This page was last updated April 13, 2002.