Cleaning the dog
Folks sometimes have a problem with a dog that has tangled with a skunk, whereby it has become even smellier than usual. The best way to deal with this situation is to get rid of the dog; however many home owners are unreasonably attached to their canine pets. These poor folks need a less permanent way to get rid of the stench. There are many home remedies; they all have this in common – they do not work. Here, however, is a reliable method that does work.
(1) Shave the dog. Skunk scent binds to the hair; no amount of washing with chemicals will remove it. You must shave all of the hair off of the dog.
(2) Cover all exposed areas with tomato paste. Many people think that washing in tomato juice is enough. It’s not; you need tomato paste.
(3) Naturally the dog will try to rub the paste off. Do not let it do it; wrap the dog in strips of cloth like a mummy.
(4) Leave the dog wrapped in cloth and tomato paste for three days. The dog will be unhappy; ignore it – you are doing this for its own good.
(5) Do not feed the dog during the three days. This will let the dog metabolize away any scent it might have absorbed in its lung or throat.
(6) After three days remove the bindings and wash away the encrusted tomato paste with a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide and pine-sol.
(7) Enjoy your sweet smelling dog.
This page was last updated November 1, 2003.