Not coming in to work today
The Washington Post held a contest
in which readers were asked to come up with excuses to miss a day
of work. Here are some of their answers from
the Sunday, April 14, 1994.
- If it is all the same to you I won’t be coming in to work. The voices
told me to clean all the guns today.
- When I got up this morning I took two Ex-Lax in addition to my Prozac.
can’t get off the john, but I feel good about it.
- I set half the clocks in my house ahead an hour and the other half back
an hour Saturday and spent 18 hours in some kind of space-time continuum
loop, reliving Sunday (right up until the explosion). I was able to exit
loop only by reversing the polarity of the power source exactly e*log(p)
clocks in the house while simultaneously rapping my dog on the snout with a
rolled up Times. Accordingly, I will be in late, or early.
- My stigmata’s acting up.
- I can’t come in to work today because I’ll be stalking my previous
who fired me for not showing up for work. OK?
- I have a rare case of 48-hour projectile leprosy, but I know we have
that deadline to meet…
- I am stuck in the blood pressure machine down at the supermarket.
- Yes, I seem to have contracted some attention-deficit disorder and,
how about them Hoyas, huh? So, I won’t be able to, yes, could I help you?
No, no, I’ll be sticking with Sprint, but thank you for calling.
- Constipation has made me a walking time bomb.
- I just found out that I was switched at birth. Legally, I
shouldn’t come to work knowing my employee records may now contain false
- The psychiatrist said it was an excellent session. He even gave me
jaw restraint so I won’t bite things when I am startled.
- The dog ate my car keys. We’re going to hitchhike to the vet.
- My mother-in-law has come back as one of the Undead and we must track
her to her coffin to drive a stake through her heart and give her eternal
peace. One day should do it.
- I am converting my calendar from Julian to Gregorian.
- I am extremely sensitive to a rise in the interest rates.
- I can’t come to work today because the EPA has determined that my
is completely surrounded by wetlands and I have to arrange for helicopter
- I prefer to remain an enigma.
This page was last updated Mar 6, 2011.