HACKER TAROT CARDS
- The FOOL: a manager using a SPARCStation 413,1432 to run a
- The MAGICIAN: a hacker with a Mac, a Pentium box, a Sparc, and
a Cray on the table in front of him --- all running the same program
with the same GUI. An infinity sign is over his head.
- The HIGH PRIESTESS: a woman holding the Documentation, closed
and concealed. The crescent moon is showing on an Indigo behind her.
- The EMPEROR: Steve Jobs sitting on a NeXT cube, holding an
optical disk vertically in his hand.
- The EMPRESS: A secretary with a NeXT Machine.
- The HEIROPHANT: Bill Gates with two flunkies kneeling before
him, their faces averted, offering him floppy disks. He wears a laptop
computer on his head.
- The LOVERS: a PowerMAC and an IBM Power PC exchanging software
as an angel bathed in glory regards them.
- The CHARIOT: A man in a chariot, hurtling up an exponential
curve, drawn by the twin sphinxes of Technology (black) and Culture
- STRENGTH: A woman holding the entire design and implementation
of Microsoft Excel in her mind as she corrects the final error. An
infinity sign is over her head.
- The HERMIT: An old hacker, white-bearded, burns the midnight
oil; its Star-of-David flame illuminates his keyboard.
- The WHEEL OF FORTUNE: A rotating wheel. Cray is on the side going
down, despite its good technology; Smalltalk is opposite it, and
C++ is sitting on top. Four winged beings -- a mouse, a turtle, a
dog-cow, and a human -- look on.
- JUSTICE. A cold-faced woman holds a calculator in one hand and
a delete- key in the other.
- The HANGED MAN: A programmer is tied by his ankle to a cable duct.
His phase is completely shifted: he awakens at sunset, he sleeps
at dawn. His monitor is reverse-video. He programs on, flawlessly,
oblivious to his circumstances.
- DEATH: A skeleton weilding a scythe surveys a field, on which are
scattered PDP-11s, Apple ]['s, IBM 360/91's, Xerox Alto's, and many
- TEMPERANCE: An angel stands with one foot on her chair and one
on the floor, as she copies files from one disk to another. A cursor
blinks from her chest.
- The DEVIL: The goat-headed Lord of the Pit stands on a pile of
Windows manuals, holding an inverted torch in one hand. Two humans,
male and female, are in chains at his feet.
- The TOWER: An ivory tower is struck by a bolt of lightning.
Two robed figures, denied tenure, are hurtled to the ground.
- The STAR: A Mac is running its `warp' screen saver, in a
transient fragile moment of peace.
- The MOON: A wolf and a jackal are typing at two PC's. A crayfish
crawls out of a pool, offering suggestions that may ultimately
prove deadly. The moon shines through a window.
- The SUN: A naked child riding a winged rocking horse programs
clever applications on a high-quality workstation.
- JUDGEMENT: An angel blows a trumpet; all over the net, web
pages arise, to be rated Cool or not.
- The WORLD: A woman dances on the clouds, unclothed, unencumbered,
in a ring of clouds, a 3-d mouse in each hand. The four winged
beings from the Wheel of Fortune surround her.
This page was last updated May 20, 1997.